Saturday, June 2, 2012

Letter #2


Dear Friends and Family,

It is with great joy that I write to you with news of an exciting development in my life. Since my family’s summer mission trip to NYC, God has been working in my heart. He has been developing in me a new desire to share the gospel with unreached people groups. And I am so thankful to have heard His call on my life. Matthew 23:19-20 reads:
”Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Through God’s provision and guidance, I will be connecting with an international ministry called “Serving in Mission” (SIM). Thankfully, God has placed me in an occupation which allows me two months off each summer. During that time in 2012, I will be traveling to Burkina Faso where I will serve a school called “The Centre for the Advancement of the Handicapped”. I will have opportunity to use my skill with sign language to teach the deaf and signing students at the school.
“Burkina Faso is a small but densely populated nation in western Africa. Islam and local fetishism serve as the religion of choice for most people. Burkinabe and SIM missionaries partner together in seven locations. In addition to providing short-term Bible schools in each region, SIM is also committed to the task of translating the Bible into local languages, reaching youth and street children, clean water development, and developing HIV- and AIDS-related ministries.” –SIM
In that part of the world, the children I will be working with have handicaps and disabilities that are viewed as demon possession, and the work of evil spirits. As a result, many of the students are neglected by their own families. The center works to rehabilitate, educate, and support the students and their families.
As with any work that God does in our world, it will require the support of a network of disciple. I do depend on you to pray for the spiritual strength it requires to bring the Gospel to those darkest areas of our world. Thankfully, God has me in a place where I do not need to depend on the generous support of the church body to serve in Africa. I do, however, want to bring a monetary gift to the ministry I will be working with. Any amount that I can raise with your help will be added to the amount I am saving to further the spread of His Good News. 

No comments:

Post a Comment