Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Little "Peace" of Research

Okay, so a conversation with one of my friends really struck me with an intense curiousity. I wanted to know what people think peace is. I've heard it described through many scriptures and from many pulpits. But when you snag a person in the middle of their crazy day, and ask them to pinpoint what peace is, what do they say? So, I text messages (I love technology) a whole bunch of my friends, ages 15-50, asking them what peace was, and what it looked like in their life. The responses were amazing. I'll let you read them for yourself, ponder them, and then do me a favor and comment with what peace looks like in YOUR life.
(Remember, these responses are coming from all different walks in life. A nice mixture of faiths and belief systems too.

  1. Being harmonious, internally and externally. I’ve never experienced it, but yes it’s possible.
  2. Shalom. Ask me tomorrow, I don't have the energy to answer you right now.
  3. Coming home after a busy day and just being able to relax. No worries.
  4. When all people on earth are united in worshipping the one true God and no evil exists on Earth. Also, when I have a problem and I pray asking God for His Holy Spirit to guide me, I have felt peace and a sense of calmness come over me.
  5. Lack of Conflict. It’s humanly impossible.
  6. Harmony in relationships, a state of tranquility or quiet, freedom from civil unrest. Personally, its letting God take charge of things I can’t control and trusting Him. Seeking to be humble in conflict.
  7. Contentment, and a quiet house
  8. Happiness. Being happy all the time with no worries.
  9. It means internal tranquility and contentment. Wrapped in love and Spirit. Internal conflicts are eased and I am accepting. When problems happen and I’m not bothered. I’m able to genuinely care and help others.
  10. It is a feeling that I get when all the drama and stress of life fades into the background and you have a moment of “ah” where everything is perfect. It shows up when I am surrounded by my family or praising God.
  11. To me, peace is the calm and comfort inside yourself. Peace in my home is keeping good and healthy company and entertainment.
  12. Peace... accompanies nothing so completely as following God's will. It's not a set of emotions, it's a blessing from God for following His commands.
  13. To me its when everything is calm and well. Just relaxed without worry. I don't know how we'll find it until we get to Heaven.

So what does peace mean to you?

4 comments:

  1. and surprisingly enough Jesus says "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." yup the Prince of Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. For He Himself is our peace. Eph 2:14
    6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Eph 4:6-7
    22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control.
    Against such things there is no law.
    Gal 5:22-23

    ReplyDelete
  3. First Sorry for any confusion. My point was mainly "look at this cool gem I've uncovered" I mean I have no idea how many times I have read those words and it took me this long to let it set in that Jesus said it. the verse is Matt 10:34 I left it completely in context, and sense we were talking about peace , it fit the theme of the conversation. Now it was brought to my attention that it looked like I was saying "Jesus didn't come to bring peace" which well I am, and you are saying Jesus gives peace, which He does. these two apparent extremes can coexist just fine. The peace in the verses that you mention, and that we tend to be more familiar with seem to be talking about a peace of heart, a peace of mind, or calm and confidence basically. The peace in the verse I used seems to imply lack of personal conflict. In this way we can have peace while at the same time having zero peace. A good example would be Jesus's own life. He was at peace He brought peace, He was always collected and did exactly as His Father willed. At the same time He was in near constant conflict with the Pharisees, even to the point He overthrew tables in the temple twice. Basically I see it as a case of us both being 100% right.

    ReplyDelete