Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Simply Devoted

"With what shall I come to the LORD and bow myself before the God on high? Shall I come to Him with burnt offerings, with yearling calves? Does the LORD take delight in thousands of rams, in ten thousand rivers of oil? Shall I present my firstborn for my rebellious acts, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, And to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:6-8

Listen to the desperation in his voice! How can I please the Lord? Will He be satisfied with thousands of rams? With ten thousand rivers of oil? Shall I even present my firstborn? What does this sound like in your life? How can I please Him? If I read my Bible every morning and every night? If I teach Sunday School? Sing on the worship team? Wear skirts and never cut my hair? If I stand in the center of campus and preach from a box? If I give up my job and tote my family to a foreign country? To what extent must I go, in order to please this God?!

Micah lived in a time where God was seen as an unreachable God who watched us suffer in our iniquities, and will not be pleased. Today, although this is a different time with different teachings, there are still those moments in our life when we are found searching for that last bit of service or devotion that will finally make us right with God. I think you knew 3 things, when you read the previous paragraph. You will know that there is nothing wrong with any of those acts of devotion. At the same time, these things are not a checklist for closeness with the Lord. And yet you may also know that at some point in your life you have tried desperately to get right with the Lord through an act like one of these.

Micah's message is that closeness with the Lord is found when we do as He has asked. Do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with your God. You will know which of the other, more superficial acts of devotion are necessary because it will be God's specific request to you, made in the quiet moments while you wait on Him.


For more insight, read Charles Swindoll's message.
http://www.insight.org/library/insight-for-today/keep-it-simple.html

1 comment:

  1. I think we all try to do what we think God is asking us to do without doing what He really wants us to do.
    God wants to commune with us, be close to us, spend time with us, and instead, we do "good, God honoring" activities.
    For myself, I will choose to focus on spending time with God.
    Thank you Cortney :-D

    ReplyDelete