Friday, April 5, 2013

Megachurch Megaprayer Megacall




For it is written,
“As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me,
and every tongue shall confess to God.”
(Romans 14:11 ESV) (A quote from Is 45:23)



This past Sunday I was visiting a delightful church up in New Hampshire, while staying with some friends. It was kind of a mega church, but only by comparison to my sweet little church. They did their announcements by a cute prerecorded video, had a huge stage with 2 mega-tron screens on either side, and the children's workers were in full Medieval costumes. Above us on the sanctuary ceiling hung the national flag of every country in the words. On the walls was depicted the name of the Lord in many many different languages.The worship is where the differences really hit home. The music was excellent, with many talented musicians, but the songs were pretty typical CCM. You know the kind, where they repeat the same two lines over and over again, until it sinks in and you realize you had been tuning out the meaning for the first 3 minutes. Yeah. The kind of song where the words are truth, but there isn't any explaination. For example, "God you are a good God, you are so good to me". Oooohhh, thats some good stuff right there... ;-) Sorry to tease. I was chuckling (alright, laughing) during this song, because of its simplicity. But I had to allow that the words were truth, and although they were somewhat repetitive, it wasn't blasphemous to sing along. In fact, if it weren't for the truths in the hymns I know from my own church, I would never understand the feelings that are being expressed in these newer songs. I understood the feeling conveyed because of what God had done.

Then it started to dawn on me. The people and nations represented in the flags that waved over my head have likely never been told the truths I had learned and understood, about the Gospel. They had never counted their sin, fell at the foot of the cross, or felt the freedom of a lifted burden.

And yet, they would fall. As the next song played, I was nearly blown over by the realization that EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW, including those who never have before... EVERY TONGUE CONFESS, although they never had before.... And when they do, it will no longer be a choice, and there will be consequences for not living a life bent under His reign.

It moved me near to tears and I sat, scribbling these thoughts frantically in my notebook. I ended with a desperately whispered prayer, "Lord, send me to tell them!"

1 comment:

  1. This is EXACTLY my heart's cry; your blog post moved me to tears. Thank you so much for posting your thoughts for us to read, Cortney! I was truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete